‘Driving on the wrong side’ was the second-highest cause of total road accidents during 2022 accounting for 4.9 per cent.
Drunken driving/consumption of alcohol, drugs, jumping of red light and use of mobile phones taken together accounted for 7.4 per cent of total accidents and 8.3 per cent of total deaths.
The other categories which would include reasons like road environment, vehicular condition etc. accounted for 18.2 per cent of the accidents, 18.1 per cent of fatalities and 18.1 per cent of injuries.
During 2022, a total of 50,029 people were killed who were not wearing helmets, of which 35,692 (71.3 per cent) were drivers and 14,337 (28.7 per cent) were passengers.
Similarly, for the same period, 16,715 people were killed who were not wearing seat belts. Out of 16,715, 8,384 (50.2 per cent) were drivers and remaining 8,331 (49.8 per cent) were passengers.
The annual report reveals that 1,01,891 people who got injured in road accidents were not wearing helmets and 42,303 people injured in road accidents were not using seat belts in 2022.